Your Taxes and the Library
As tax season draws near,
you may be wondering
what tax forms and information the library has to offer.
We’re here to help!
IRS.gov/forms — Your Best Resource
The fastest, easiest way to get the tax forms and information you need is through the IRS website—IRS.gov/forms.
On the website, you can view, download, or print IRS forms, publications, and instructions. You’ll find:
- Current year forms and publications—the latest versions in PDF format.
- Prior year forms and publications—past revisions in PDF format.
- Accessible forms and publications for screen readers and Braille output.
- The site is also available in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Russian.
- Federal forms can be ordered by telephone at 1-800-829-3676.
You can also have a form delivered to you by mail by visiting IRS.gov/orderforms.
Access the IRS website en Español here.
Colorado Department of Revenue
The Colorado tax site has links to state forms along with information on filing, paying and receiving refunds.
Colorado state forms can be ordered by telephone at 303-238-7378.
What the Library Does Not Offer
Unfortunately, library employees are unable to offer any tax advice or assistance choosing the correct forms.
What Summit County Library Does Offer
Summit County Library receives limited quantities of paper tax forms. Forms and instructions can be printed from public computers at all 3 locations. (25 cents per page).
All three libraries are currently stocked with 2021 tax forms. The IRS has redesigned the 1040 form, which replaces the 1040A and 1040EZ forms and instructions. Many people will only need to file Form 1040, but if your return is more complicated, you may need to complete one or more form schedules. Learn more here.
This year, we do not have the book of reproducible forms.
Colorado State form 104 includes a form and instructions in one booklet. Forms for other states are available online.
If you need guidance, we recommend ordering a copy of J.K. Lasser’s Your Income Tax 2020 or J.K. Lasser’s Your Income Tax 2021, available for checkout from the library.
Mark your calendar! The filing deadline is April 15, 2021.
Tax Preparation Help
The Piton Foundation: Tax Help Colorado
Tax Help Colorado offers free tax preparation assistance to families who earn less than about $56,000 a year. Services are available in English and Spanish. To find a location near you and verify language availability, visit the website.
Denver Asset Building Coalition: Tax Help
All DABC Free Tax Super Sites prepare and e-file basic federal and State of Colorado income tax returns FREE of charge for low income families and individuals. Services are available in English and Spanish. No appointment necessary. Visit the website for locations and operating hours.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) offer FREE preparation and e-filing of Federal and Colorado State income taxes for low income taxpayers and the elderly. Visit the website for a list of locations and what to expect.
My Free Taxes
Qualified taxpayers can prepare their own simple returns online for FREE with telephone and chat support from trained volunteers.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free tax preparation help to moderate–low income taxpayers, especially those 50 and older. Check the website for local sites near you in addition to helpful articles and information about money management and taxes. For information on local locations offering AARP tax-aide appointments beginning in February, visit https://cotaxaide.org/appt/index.php.
Federal Tax Information
- Getting Started: Tax Information for Individuals
Tax information for individuals from the IRS on getting started, filing, and paying your taxes.
- What address do I use to mail my federal tax return?Addresses to mail federal tax return forms for tax year 2020. Addresses differ for several reasons, including whether you are enclosing payment or expecting a return.
- IRS Free File
Depending on circumstances, taxpayers may be able to file electronically for free. The IRS can help determine eligibility and which service to use.
- When will I get my refund?
Using this tool from the IRS, filers can find out about the status of an expected refund.
- IRS Information on Economic Impact Payments (Stimulus)
Information from the IRS about stimulus payments, check payment status, Recovery Rebate Credits, and more.
- IRS - Federal Tax Forms & Instruction
- El IRS en Espanol
Formularios de impuesto.
Most Commonly Requested Federal Tax Booklets and Forms
Colorado Tax Information
- Colorado Department of Revenue - Taxation Division
State of Colorado website with helpful information for filing taxes.
- Colorado Department of Revenue Tax Forms & Instruction
- Colorado Revenue Online
Revenue Online is the Colorado Department of Revenue's free, one-stop site for filing your taxes, managing your account and checking the status of your refund.
- What address do I use to mail my Colorado tax return?Mailing addresses and contact information for the Colorado Department of Revenue
- Colorado Free Tax Assistance
Free Colorado tax return help from the Piton Foundation in partnership the Colorado Community College System.
- Colorado - Departamento de Ingresos Instrucciones y Formularios
**Las formas en español son no disponible a través del sitio web del Departamento de Ingresos de Colorado. Utilice Google Translate para navegar por su sitio web y localizar información. La información de contacto del Departamento de Ingresos de Colorado también está disponible si necesita asistencia**
Most Commonly Requested Colorado Tax Booklets and Forms
- 2020 Colorado Individual Income Tax Filing Guide (DR 0104 Booklet)
Instructions - DR 0104 - Related Forms
- 2020 Colorado Individual Income Tax Return (DR 0104 Form Only)
Individual Tax Return (FORM ONLY)
- List of Individual Colorado Income Tax Forms and Instructions by Number and Description
More Tax Assistance
- IRS Electronic Reading Room
- Filing Taxes for Free
IRS information on filing taxes for free.
- Free Tax Return Preparation for Qualifying Taxpayers
An IRS webpage explaining the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs, both of which offer free tax assistance.
- Interactive Tax Assistance (ITA)
An IRS tool providing responses to tax law questions.
- Tax Forms by State